Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Daisy Crochet Stitch

The daisy crochet stitch is a fun and versatile stitch that works up fairly quickly. I’ve made dainty, but very durable, kitchen washcloths with it; I’ve also combined it with the Tunisian stitch to make a winter vest. The daisy crochet stitch would be an excellent choice for baby items, perhaps a charming bib and bonnet set, or soft and cuddly blanket. Once you get the rhythm down, it’s almost as easy as making single crochet stitches, only with a lot more detail and some very fancy stitchery.

Daisy Crochet Stitch (Step 3)
Foundation Row:  Make an uneven number of chain stitches
Right Side (1st Row)
Step 1:  Skip the first chain; draw up a loop in each of the next 4 chain stitches, keeping all 5 loops on hook
Step 2:  Yarn over, draw through all 5 loops on hook
Step 3:  Chain 1, draw up a loop from the center of the previous daisy stitch you just made
Draw up 1 more loop to complete step 4
Step 4:  Draw up a loop from the last vertical stitch of the previous daisy stitch you just made, and from the next 2 chains (5 loops on hook)
Step 5:  Yarn over, draw through all 5 loops on hook
Step 6:  Repeat steps 3 – 5 across row

Wrong Side (2nd Row)
Step 7: (beginning daisy to be made as first stitch in each new row) Chain 3, skip first chain, draw up loop from each of next 2 chains in chain 3, turn, draw up loop in first 2 horizontal stitches of previous row (5 loops on hook); Yarn over, draw through all 5 loops on hook


1. Right side, chain 3 
2. Draw up loops from chain

3. Draw up loops from next 2 stitches

4. Yarn over, draw through all 5 loops


Repeat steps 3 – 5 for pattern, following step 7 to begin each new row.


      

31 comments:

  1. I've never seen this stitch either. You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Amber! Wishing you lots of success with all your crochet projects:)

      Delete
  3. ΠΑΡΑ ΠΟΛΥ ΟΜΟΡΦΟ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm testing this out right now (or rather, i had to stop for the moment, not enough light) but tomorrow i'll continue with it. i need to make a little pouch to hold my hooks :3 thanks for this awesome walkthrough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jet, I hope your hook holder turned out well. So glad you like this pattern for it:)

      Delete
  5. That could make a nice heavy potholder. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This crochet stitch is nice for a lot of things. It's one of those I'm sure you'll use time and time again, Brenda:)

      Delete
  6. That's beautiful. For the dense-minded among us (me), the first row isn't all single crochet? It starts out with the pattern? I'm asking this without even trying it yet - just wanted to check. Thank you so much!

    Lori (All That Splatters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on this pattern, you begin making daisy stitches right away, Lori. You are more than welcome! Thanks for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches Blog:)

      Delete
  7. Had been trying unsuccessfully to get this stitch for weeks. And in 5 minutes, voila! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day, Sephezade! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. love it, just picked up some nice yarn for a scarf and was looking for a unique pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fun one, Margo. I think it will be perfect for a unique and charming scarf :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this easy to follow tutorial. I have been trying to find this stitch for.a week now and this is the first set of instructions that makes sense. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad my tutorial makes sense for you. I truly enjoy writing up these instructions, and it's always nice when I discover they are helpful for those who visit me here :)

      Delete
  10. I really love this stitch! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love this.
    To me though my second row looks funny but i am using green camo for a lap blanket. Lol so maybe its just the color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variegated colors do strange things sometimes. Glad you enjoy the stitch :)

      Delete
  12. I'm trying this right now and I love it
    It is super easy and fast to remember
    It is actially the first stich I learned for now $:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying this stitch. It is really fast and very fun to make. Thanks for stopping by and chatting, Rana:) It's always fun to receive encouraging comments. Best to you.

      Delete
  13. I'm just starting out...I need a really basic tutorial I guess....a photo for every instruction. Where is the best starting point for a beginner to learn the language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out this category on the website and you should be able to learn everything from how to hold your hook and yarn, to beginner and basic stitches.

      http://www.lotsofcrochetstitches.com/the-basics

      Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches. Not sure why your comment just showed up today. It says you posted it on the 1st. I check and respond to comments daily, and it only appeared in my inbox today. Sorry for the delay.

      Delete
  14. I need help with the vertical step 4. I need help. I understand center of the last daisy, but not sure about vertical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send me an email and I'll respond to this request personally.

      mjjoachimswriting@gmail.com

      Thank you.

      Delete
  15. If you have the instructions for how to combine it with the Tunisian crochet stitch, can you please send them to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alternate rows of daisy stitch with Tunisian stitch. You can also make a daisy stitch row, followed by a single crochet stitch row, followed by a Tunisian stitch row, so daisy and Tunisian stitches are on the front of your project.

      Delete
  16. I just found your website via Pinterest and love your blog. I am trying to do this stitch but mine doesn't look quite like yours and I'm sure it is just me since I only started learning crochet two weeks ago. Your instructions are so easy to follow even for a beginner. I'm sure with practice....mine will look better. Thank you for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete